Houston, Tx Children’s Museum

dsc03708The Children’s Museum of Houston had a “How things are Made” weekend on May 30th of which I attended with Dan Stuettgen (who organized the event for the R2 builders.) Other builders that I met there were Dianna and her husband Steve, Robert (a new guy) and Doug (StickMonkey). It was fun. We all had a great time! The destructobots were in full force. My droids were being brutally assaulted!! Some of the kids where even climbing on my droids! LOL :) The parents and the kids had a great time. I must of fielded at least 400 questions on how to build, where to buy and if they come in kits…..I think we should put Dave’s Styrene Plans on a brochure and handed those out at events like these….lol.

dsc03706dsc03697dsc03702dsc03701dsc03698

2009 Build Off

dsc03440Wow. What a whirlwind! The 2nd annual Build off has come and gone. We had a few astromechs here and there, a few domes to build, a few B9’s sprinkled here and there and over 35 people showed up with a lot of knowledge to share for both camps. Wayne Orr had worked for 3 long days in my garage before the build off to get his droid ready. By the build off everything was fully functional. Monty’s droid suffered a center foot problem and then a side foot drive lock up so his was out of commission by the time the rain stopped for the droid races but we all managed to have a great time. Watching my B9 robot dance and do the &  Twist with the astromechs to a tune from Weird Al was very funny!!! Guy Vardaman had A LOT of fun putting together the Senna drive! We also made some 2 stage vinyl practice decals for my R4 dome to see how they would turn out and tried them out on some scrap styrene I had. Thanks to Neil for that. We color matched that so I just need ot complete the side triangle patterns I want and I will have a completed R4 dome. Look at the Green and Red decals below.

Charlie Garcia  (a B9 robot builder) described it best by saying that there were robot “….Heads, Bubbles, feet, drive motors, tread sections and all sorts of bits and pieces were found scattered all around. In fact the entire house looked like a Robot assembly plant all weekend! It was so cool! There was R2D2 Foot assembly work being done on the dining room table, (complete with hammers, and drive chain assembly) the breakfast bar was where the B9 neck and finger light assembly was discussed, Jerry’s office was where all the wiring and soldering was being done, the garage there was some grinding, filming stage, solvent welding shop, torso hook installation, the kitchen was where the collar and vent rib forming was taking place and the street was blocked off for the Droid Races….there was something going on everywhere. What a riot!”  The build off was suppose to end at noon on Sunday but it didn’t actually end until 10:30pm. We continued with additional web chats and tutorials for the B9 and R2 viewers that were still watching and participating. It was a non stop blast!!!!

dsc03521dsc03538dsc03515dsc03461dsc03499dsc03541dsc03540dsc03556droid-races-dscn8350

Getting ready for the buildoff

dsc03463

Getting ready for the build off. The day before the build off is to start I already have people dropping off robots, supplies and doing repairs on their robots just to get ready to do upgrades, refits and additional repairs…..of course some came a little earlier for additional assistance. Some started 3 days early!! :)

dsc03418dsc03441dsc03420dsc03459

Updating the R&J Dome

dsc03417Its time to update, repair and repaint the R&J dome. Back when I was getting the dome ready for the Fanboys premiere in Austin I couldn’t get the top of the inner dome to seat properly. I had heard that R&J dome owners had to decapitate the inner dome so the peak of the inner dome would come into contact with the outer dome; so I did that. What I did not know was that you ALSO had to do a radial cut so you could spread out the cap to increase the circumference; because I didn’t know that, when I put the outside dome panels on some of the panels looked “sunken” or “depressed”  There wasn’t time to fix it back then but there is time now. Sooooooooo, its time to tear it apart. The fun part was popping the panels off in such a way as to not damage them or the dome. At least I had the presence of mind not to permanently attach them. I knew I would be doing something like this. The standard 3M adhesive did an excellent temporary job. It had just enough hold. I am sure the 3M super777 adhesive would of damaged the panels had I tried to remove them. I will also refit the front and rear logics with the Jedi system and re-polish the dome.

dsc03415