New Bubble Lifter Design

dsc03408aPart of the redesign efforts of the arms will require me to redesign the CSS and thus will force me to redesign the bubble lifter. If you will recall, my bubble lifter required a central (rear) placement using a fork design and a high torque servo with a power booster. This design worked fine but the servo motor did get warm as it had to maintain a neutral position holding 8 lbs. I used springs to create a servo saver of sorts so it didn’t have to work so hard maintaining a neutral position and that solved that problem. However, the redesign will require an offset approach because of space considerations so that design will not work. This design is a nice retrofit to an existing application and will also work for the new CSSĀ  design when the arms are ready.I decided to use a Dewert motor since I had plenty in stockĀ  but any geared motor capable of generating enough power to lift 10 lbs would suffice. I will make a kit available for the club as this is a nice, affordable and easy to make bubble lifter kit.


Have Bubble Lifter will travel

One of the hardest things for my mind to wrap around was the bubble lifter. I can remember trying for hours how to figure out how I could get it to move the way I wanted it to. But no matter what what I tried it just didnt seem to work right. Using the eliptical wheel with the center mounted machined post that Mike made interferred with the internal workings of the finger lights, crown and brain light mechanism and wires.
Then one day I saw an A frame upper control arm hinge in a hobby shop for a RC car and the idea popped into my head on how to control the upper and lower movement without allowing it to sway or rotate the bubble while also allowing me to use the existing motor and electronics for the upper assembly.
This is the result:
Also note the robot servo. It is a strong one! It is a GWS 777 capable of lifting 20 lbs easily. This will allow me to more accurately control the speed, height and control of the bubble and will also allow me to do pre programmed combination actions involving the bubble, radar turning and voice sync to movement for a better presentation.

Torso, Vents and Microphone

Here is how the Replica torso is turning out so far. Note the Microphone in the Robot’s claw. That Microphone is fully operational. I got it from Mike Joyce as he was cleaning out his old stuff. Apparently it was machined and made specifically for the B9 by a club member who is no longer active. It is beautiful and works great too!

Also ote the vents inside the torso. I used a combination of superglue on the bottom of the rail and plummers liquid steel epoxy putty on the top rail . The rails and vents are from Craig Reinbrecht. The vents move like glass!!!

What I need to figure out now is how to attach the metal vents and black cloth that goes behind the vents that will still allow me to open the vents fully for access to the various electronic boards and the torso attachments to the donut.
On a side note, please note the keying of the radar section below for the bubble lifter. This is essential for proper bubble lifter operation but more on that later…… (I have to keep you coming back for more) :)